Friday, February 23, 2007

With a Chip on my Shoulder.

It could be harder to say than "I'm Gay."

I knit on the commuter train in the morning. And I sit near up to five other knitters. Yuri, Tara, Pitty Pat, Paula Pat and the Stranger Lady. It's almost a knitting circle. (It's the same folks I drink with on the evening train.)

I sit near the door through which other commuters enter, very near the conductor, so it's a high traffic, high visibility area.

I get LOTS of comments from complete strangers about my wool, color choice, even stitches, etc. "Thank you." "Uh huh." "Thank you." I say, but inside I'm thinking "Keep moving, nothing to see here." I liken it to strangers putting their hands, unbidden, on pregnant tummies.

Anyhoo, Tara came up with a GREAT suggestion this morning. Next time Madam Stranger Blue Hair smiles condescendingly at me knitting and asks in the almost baby voice "What are YOU knitting?" I'm going to respond "Assless Chaps."

You KNOW they're expecting you to say "A scarf."

I may be misinterpretting the looks I get from the women in the knit shops - but I get them all the time - and it reads to me like they're thinking "you'll never knit beyond a potholder - maybe you should crochet."

3 comments:

Tara Leporini said...

I watched the viddie.....He-larious! But I can't decide which is funnier- the video or those leaving comments "that dishcloth she's holding is not crocheted!" -taraocity

p.s. Thanks for giving me a staring role in the latest posting. Oscar! Oscar!

dsimom said...

Now you know how women feel when they enter Home Depot to pick up materials for a project.

Just-Chuck said...

dismom,

Love it! Guys get the same look at the fabric stores too.

Holding up the 6 yards of whatever they say "Oooo, what is your wife making with this?"

Grrrr.